Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Quotable Calvin

I know it has been awhile since my last post. It has been a very busy few weeks. First, there was soccer camp for Calvin. It was really fun. They may not have learned a whole lot about soccer, but they had a good time. It was 2 hours a day for 4 days. His group was age 3-5, so as you can imagine most of the time was spent on water, potty, and snack breaks with a few soccer skills learned in between. Then we had our church youth (high school) camp which Zach and I were in charge of. It was a lot fun and I think the kids had a good time. Needless to say, I came home very tired anf not wanting to cook again for a long time! Now, we leave again in a few days. Zach and I are off to Las Vegas in celebration of our 10th wedding anniversary (which is not actually till Aug.1 but this is the time we could get). So, I know the title said quotable Calvin, but I just wanted to fill you in on things.
Without further ado:

One morning while sitting at the breakfast table Calvin said, "Girls are good at shopping and cooking breakfast". What I think he meant was, "Girls are good at so many things, there are too many to name, but I appreciate it most when Mom takes me shopping and cooks me breakfast". I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

On our way to soccer camp we had the following discussion:
Calvin: Hey Mom, I just saw a turtle up in a tree.
Me: Probably not Calvin, I don't think a turtle could climb up in a tree.
Calvin: Yeah they can, they just do it slower.
Me: No, I really don't think they can climb.
Calvin: Well, then I just saw a turtle that wind blew him up in a tree. Would the turtle get a splinter in his shell?
Me: No, turtles shells are hard.
Calvin: How do you get splinters?
Me: Little pieces of wood break off and stick under your skin.
Calvin: And in your fingernails.
Me: No your fingernails are hard, wood wouldn't stick in them.
Calvin: But if you just cut them, they would be soft and you would get a splinter.

We were in the car with some friends, Calvin and his friend Matt were sitting next to each other when Matt called to his mom that Calvin had hit him. I asked Calvin if he hit his friend and Calvin said, "but it didn't hurt". I explained that it is never okay to hit, especially your friends, so Calvin said, "yeah, but I did it slowly." And that makes it better?

Before Zach and I left for the camp-out at Craig's Creek Calvin had a warning for me, he said: "Mom, you should be careful at Craig's Creek, that place is magic, it changed me into scared."

When Calvin was getting dressed a few mornings ago he told me he had a very sad dream the last night, I asked him to tell me what happened and this is what he said: "I had a dream that I was playing at the BAC (our gym) and I had a magic wand. I accidentally changed all the kids I was playing with into lava pots (I am not exactly sure what that is but I assume a vessel filled with lava) and I kept wishing and I could change them back, because I wasn't very good at it."
I agreed it was sad, but I said that the good news was, that it was just a dream and he said: "Yeah, but the better news was, that in my dream you came to get me and you had a magic wand too, and you changed us all back."
I am still not sure if this really was something he had dreamt, but it sounded like it could have been. I am sure it must have been sad to him at the time. But it was also kind of funny!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sophie!
His dream is so sweet- you came to save the day!
You'll always be the hero in Calvin's heart!

Love, Lita