Friday, July 4, 2008

No Anti-Dentite Here



We have one anti-dentite in the family. Well, they are not so much against dentists as people, just what they do to you. I was a little afraid that Calvin would inherit or pick up on this trait. But my fears were relieved when I took him to the dentist this week. He had to get his first x-rays, and he did a great job of that. Although he said that the lead apron (it had a big smiley face on it) should really have an angry face instead. He very much enjoyed getting to hold and operate the spit sucker outer (I have no idea of the technical term for that instrument). The only problem came when they put the fluoride tray in, he remembered from last time that he did not like it, so I am sure much of it was psychological. So he took about 15 minutes trying to decide which flavor to choose, because he didn't want any of them. Finally I told him I would choose for him, so he very quickly said "grape." The second the hygienist put the tray in , he started to gag. Anyone who knows Calvin knows that his gag reflex has a hair trigger, he throws up ALL the time. She took it out and painted the fluoride on instead, I was proud of him for not throwing up. Something about the little toothbrushes they give you at the dentist made him incredibly excited to brush his teeth. He brushed all the way home. I kept trying to get him to feel how clean his teeth were and enjoy that feeling. Hopefully, in the future he will remember that, and perhaps enjoy getting his teeth cleaned and look forward to going to the dentist. After the appointment, I had to go to Wal-Mart to do some grocery shopping. I told Calvin he could pick out a new DVD because he did so well at the dentist. It took him all of 5 seconds to see that he wanted the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie. He carried it the whole time in the store. Every person he saw, he stopped and showed them his new DVD. He would tell them all about his trip to the dentist and seeing pictures of his teeth. If he had not stopped to talk to people, it would have taken 30 minutes less to get done with our shopping.

So I know that Calvin is okay with the dentist. Now, it is Corban I am worried about, as he has a general mistrust of anyone outside of his immediate family. He really dislikes the doctor, even though he has never had any bad experiences. All the doctor has to do is glance at him from across the room and Corban is clinging to me for his life, howling in fear. It is not a pleasant experience. Maybe we can wait awhile before I have to take Corban dentist. Or, maybe Daddy can take him!

No comments: