Thursday, July 17, 2008

Memories

Zach and I will be celebrating our 10th anniversary this August. Around our anniversary, I always enjoy reminiscing about our friendship, courtship and wedding. So I thought I would just share some of my fondest memories. This time I will share about how we met and started dating.
When I was in 11th grade, Zach was just getting back from his stay at Bible school in England. The very first time I noticed him, he was showing our Bible study group his pictures from his recent trip to Israel. Then, he sort of came and went for a while. While he was gone I became good friends with Zach's best friend. I was also trying to learn how to play bass guitar. Someone mentioned that this guy named Zach was selling his bass amp, and gave me his phone number. I called and some lady with a southern accent answered the phone (which stands out in Hawaii), and took the message that I wanted to buy his amp. A few days later, we met formally when I bought his amp for $100.00. Not long after, Zach and our mutual friend (who was living at his house) were hanging out together every day. After a short time of this, I realised that I liked him. So, I started praying about him, diligently. He was pretty much all I thought about. After about a month, pretty much everyone who knew me, knew that I liked Zach. Except Zach. We still did everything together as friends. We even started a small band. It was silly but fun. Meanwhile Zach was planning on going away to California for college the next spring. I didn't know what I was going to do. I thought about writing him a letter, letting him know how I felt. Not that it would do any good, but at least I would get my feelings off my chest. I would constantly be asking my girlfriends if they thought he liked me. Of course they would all say, "Yeah, he totally does!" That year for Halloween we decided to dress up as our "glam" rock band. Zach came by the school at lunch time (by surprise) to go shopping to find costumes. I was sitting in the cafeteria and 6 hysterical girls came running in telling me Zach was here and looking for ME. I could hardly contain my excitement. Shortly after Halloween, I came to the realisation that he was obviously not interested in me. It never occurred to me that perhaps he didn't know I liked him. I was sure he knew. I became convinced that he just wanted to be friends. So, I officially gave up. I told myself I was over it and was going to move on. Well, maybe a day or two after that, Zach was getting ready to go to his college classes in the morning. His dad pulled him aside and told him something like, "You know Zach, I think that girl Sophie has a crush on you." The next day after our High School Bible Study meeting, he pulled me aside and asked if it was true. I very calmly (though I was shaking like a leaf, and my heart was beating like a hammer) told him that it was true. Shortly thereafter, we were officially "dating." Needless to say, he postponed going to school that Spring. The rest, as they say, is history.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY SOPHHIE & ZACH!

-Patience