Friday, August 8, 2008

Quotable Calvin

One night as I was putting Calvin to bed, we were just chatting. Calvin looked at me and asked, "Why does Daddy have hair inside his nose that comes out?" I explained that it just happens like that when you are a grown-up. He got all excited and said, "When I am a grown-up, will I have hair in my nose too?"
I guess we all have different things we look forward to.

One afternoon while sitting around Calvin looked at me and said, "If you are alive and not dead, when I'm a grown up, will you come and visit me where I live?"

Last week I told Calvin that it was Mommy and Daddy's anniversary. I told him when it was and what it meant. The next day I overheard Calvin say to Corban; "Corban today is the most special day, you know why?" I thought to myself, how sweet he remembered it was our anniversary. I was just in the middle of that thought when I heard the rest of the conversation. Calvin went on to say it was the most special day because Nana was coming over to babysit them. Corban, of course, agreed that it was a very special thing.

I have accepted the fact that Calvin is quite scared of bugs. But apparently he is also afraid of plants now. Earlier this week, we were up at Craig's Creek. As we walked along the bank I could hear him behind me saying with each step, "One, two, three, four...not poison oak. One, two, three...POISON OAK, POISON OAK!" He did that with each plant he saw. I mean, it is one thing to be aware, but this seems excessive.

This afternoon we were playing outside in the yard when he yelled; "Mom, Mom, a poisonous tomato!" I had to think about that for a while. I eventually realised that there was a mushroom growing in the grass. Maybe five minutes later, I heard him giving Corban a stern warning not to touch the poisonous tomatoes or he would die.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sophie,

I think Calvin may be onto something! Something. . .more. . .SINISTER!! Yes, it could actually be the return of a menace that first swept the country in 1978 -- the Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!!! If you're not familiar with the terrible onslaught from our nation's past, go to the following link to see for yourself!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI6sN8ZoREo

-Jen

Jennifer said...

Hi, Sophie! Thought you would appreciate this:
The other day while driving, Matt had brought along his yellow Silly Putty and was forming things with it. David was driving, so Matt asked me to make several things -- a screwdriver and then a hammer. When he got the putty back and was thinking about something he could make, Emma began offering suggestions, which were apparantly too challenging because after listening to her list of ideas for about 2 minutes, Matt sighed and said, "I think I'll just make a grapefruit."