Monday, April 14, 2008

Times A Wastin

I have been thinking lately about how time passes. Can you remember when you were a kid and a month was a really long time? Remember how long it took to get from one Christmas to the next? It was almost an eternity when I was a kid. Now as soon January rolls around I feel like I need to get started on next Christmas! Where is that exact moment in life when time switches from moving so slowly, to moving at ludicrous speed? I wonder if that moment is different for everybody. Is it when you turn 18? Or when you go away to college? Perhaps there is some major life change or event around that time that changes your perspective.
In my own life it seems like one day I was counting down the days until high school graduation; then I blinked, and it was 5 years later. I guess I had about 4 major life changes kind of all at once: I turned 18, got married, moved out of state and started a full-time job all within 3 months. It seemed like it was kind of a blur. Maybe that kick-started that new perspective on time.
I still count down the days until events like Christmas, but for much different reasons. Now I do it to remind me of how behind I am! It seems like all I do is play catch-up while the months and years slip by. I keep telling myself that "I am sure next month things will be less busy", and I tell myself that EVERY month and it never happens. But maybe next year won't be so busy.
Oh well, I guess I will just go get started on my Christmas cards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Soph, the next step in the aging process is chronic forgetfulness. I guess time begins to go so quickly that it all becomes a blur...