Saturday, April 19, 2008

Misspellers Of The World Untie

I came across this sign while driving and I had to stop and take a picture. There were at least 3 of these along the road. I was quite intrigued. Zach and I tried to decide whether the yard they were selling from was bizarre, or the content of the sale was bizarre. I did not go to the sale to find out, but I am sure it would have been interesting. They will most likely fire their sign maker.
But that sign got me thinking about how I have an extreme hatred of intentional misspelling of words to look cool. I will boycott any product or store that uses those. I will not let my kids participate in any activity that calls itself a "kids klub" or "kids krew" or uses "kidz" in either of those instances. It very nearly makes me violent. I once even saw a sign for a store called "Klassy Kloset". If that is not one of the least classy things I have ever seen, I don't know what is. I know there are people who have a hard time with spelling, and that is okay, But adults who knowingly misspell and think its "klever" are I think, "mizlead." It hurts me to even type that in a joking way. When your 5 year old writes you a note that says " I luv you", that is cute, but past that, it isn't cute, or funny, or classy, or clever.
Really, adults ought to know better!

6 comments:

Chris said...

Bazaar

1. a marketplace or shopping quarter, esp. one in the Middle East.
2. a sale of miscellaneous contributed articles to benefit some charity, cause, organization, etc.
3. a store in which many kinds of goods are offered for sale; department store.

"kool beanz"-2 kool 2 b 4 gotn

Jennifer said...

Bizarre:
The current tendency of some schools to allow the misspelling of words, and other wrong answers, in order to preserve the "self esteem" of the kidz.

-Jen

Anonymous said...

High So-fee, intresteen storee.

I would'nt have known how to spell "bizaar" either!

I'm a pretty good speller, it's punctuation that I have problems with.

By the way, please tell me you purposely said untie instead of unite. Did I spell purposely right? -Patience

Chris said...

BIZ CZAR:

"King or emperor of a bizness. Such as.."He wuz the czar of show bizness"

Chris (I made that one up)

Anonymous said...

I can understand the store name. It is very possible that there is another store with the name, Classy Closet, so the letter K was substituted.

It is very hard to find unique store names. Particularly if you plan to do business on the internet as well.

But I agree with the rest.

s said...

Anonymous-
I was not meaning to offend anyone, espcially anyone enterprising enough (whereas I am not) to start their own business. I can certainly understand the dilemma. Hope you come back anyway.
Sophie