Saturday, May 24, 2008

Quotable Calvin Part II

Like I said in the previous post, there is no lack of funny material from Calvin. Here are some more quotes.

On a particularly challenging day Calvin asked for some candy and I told him he really did not deserve any, so he replied, "Well, God gives us things we don't deserve". How could I argue with that? He got the candy, but that only works once!

Lately we've had MANY conversations about meat and what kind of food comes from certain animals. One day he told me, "some people eat deer meat, and chicken and steak comes from deer too." Of course I corrected him, but it was by no means the end of meat conversations. A week or so later Zach was explaining to him that pig meat is called pork and cow meat is called beef, etc. Calvin jumped in and let us know that chicken meat is called chicken, but then asked, "What do you call wolf meat?"

One morning Calvin was explaining to me all the things he knows (which according to him is everything)and he told me, "I know everything about monsters, and trucks, and monster trucks."

The other day I came home from getting my hair done. As I walked in, Calvin looked up at me and said, "You look prettier than you used to." I was not entirely sure if this was a compliment or not! I think I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

This morning after Calvin had finished his egg he asked for another egg. I told Zach that he would've eaten 2 eggs had I fixed them. Calvin replied, "Yeah, 2 eggs are better than one." Now, I'm sure he didn't mean it to sound like the old saying about 2 heads being better than one, but the way he said it sounded like he meant to.

Calvin loves knock-knock jokes. Unfortunately, he can't quite grasp how to tell one. The first one he ever heard was the one that says "orange you glad I didn't say banana again." So, now every time he tells a knock-knock joke it goes something like this (but with a different subject every time):
Calvin: knock knock
Me: Who's there?
Calvin: Window
Me: Window who?
Calvin: Aren't you glad I didn't say window?
Me: But you did say window.
Calvin: Mom, it's a knock-knock joke.
At that point, I usually try to explain the concept of a knock-knock joke. However, it is obvious to me he hasn't gotten it because he just told that one again yesterday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sophie, Those are pretty great! I think you need to do a blog with Calvin quotes/comments/questions at least once a week. Pretty soon, Corban will be talking and you'll have lots more material. Iris comes out with the funniest things, but I can never remember them to tell Carlos. I need to start carrying a notepad with me.
-Patience

Laura said...

Here I sit reading your blog when I should be cleaning house for small group tonight. Chris told me your blog was funny and I have to agree. The video was a riot in a dark kind of way. I didn't realize you were struggling with putting Calvin in school, so I will pray for ya'll in that process. Ms. Carol told me about a time when Calvin came into Sunday School and told Lorien she "looked great" so I think he has good taste and therefore complimented you well on your prettiness :)