Saturday, May 10, 2008

Buggin Out

I am terribly afraid of bugs, and for good reason. I am somehow a serious bug magnet. If there is something that bites or stings, or generally brings discomfort, history has shown it is coming after me! I've had too many instances to recall to list here. However, I have really tried hard not to pass this fear on to my children. I do not freak out unnecessarily over bugs; I will even kill a bug (if Zach is not home). But somehow my children have subliminally picked up on my phobia and are well on their way to being neurotic as well. Whenever either of them see a bug, be it an ant or hornet, they flip out and yell for Dada to come kill the bug. Yes, they know I am not the one to call for bug problems. Corban will come running and say "bu bu bu dada dada dada", then he will keep pointing to the spot where it was seen, repeating "bu bu dada dada" for the next week.



Like I said, I really have good reasons for liking bugs. I lived in Hawaii for many years and there are SERIOUS bugs there. Lots and lots of cockroaches, in fact 18 different kinds! Here is some more cockroach data:

1. There are 18 different kinds of roaches in Hawaii, and they all can be found in the back of your favorite plate lunch place. The most common in Hawaii is the American cockroach (da B52 Bomber type).2. Roaches prefer humid, dark places where food is readily available (i.e. your favorite plate lunch plate).3. Females lay their egg cases in dark hiding places. Each egg case (not Ed Case!) carries about 40 little roach eggs in it. Gestation time is quick, and the little ones usually hatch at three weeks. They can put out as much as 8 egg cases in a year.4. Roaches have been known to live for up to five years (I wonder how big that buggah gets?)5. Roaches can live without their heads for up to a month. (Roaches obviously don't need to think much). Actually, I know a few humans that have been running around without a head for years.6. It's hard to starve a roach to death. He'll eat anything, including the paste on your envelopes. (Think about that the next time you lick one).7. A roach tastes with his feet, so when he's walking all over your food he's actually deciding whether your cooking is palatable.8. Cockroach droppings aggravate allergies and the insects are known to carry multiple diseases. Definitely not good house pets or welcome visitors.9. Cockroaches bite... Nasty bites too! If you put your kids down to bed with food on their mouth or clothes, you are just inviting trouble. They have also been know to get moisture from sleeping peoples eyes and noses if they are dehydrated enough. UGGGGGHHH!



Well if that's not yucky enough for you, we also have the CENTIPEDE (a shudder just went through my body just typing the word). If you have not been to Hawaii and had the pleasure of seeing one for yourself here is a picture for you:



And don't think for a minute that these are like the lovable little millipede or caterpillar. They are not only much more disgusting, but they are EVIL. To kill one (if you can catch it) you have to cut it up into many pieces with scissors, or other sharp cutting implement, there is no other way. Their armored bodies prevent them from being squashed. They are also extremely aggressive and will pretty much just come after anyone or anything. Yes the bite hurts! Bad.

So, I guess the occasional stinkbug is really not so bad.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thanks a lot, Sophie! I won't sleep for days!!!!

-Jen

Chris said...

That's Kwazy! That centipede it huge. I did not know they grew that big! Great post Sophie!

Freddy said...

Sophie,

That is not a bug. That is a dinosaur! I'm calling you when I am awake at 3am because of nightmares of many-legged dinosaurs crawling after and over me.

-Freddy

Anonymous said...

It may not be your fault your kids have the bug phobia too. I FREAK OUT when I see a snake and I don't bother trying to hide the fear from Keoni, and he actually likes snakes and will pick them up. EEEK! Iris does'nt seem to be scared of them either. We went to the beach a while back and Keoni was collecting crabs in a bucket, and Iris was picking them up and puting them in the bucket too!
-Patience