Thursday, March 27, 2008

You Can Dress Them Up, But You Can't Take Them Out

So Zach had a Bible study tonight and I was all prepared to have to be by myself for the night. Luckily his parents felt sorry for me (or more likely, felt sorry the kids who would have eaten PB&J for the second meal in a row) and invited us out to dinner. Don't get me wrong, they would gladly eat PB&J three meals a day if I let them, but they have a healthy love of Cracker Barrel as well.
In the four and a half years now that I've had children, you would think there would be some lessons that I would have learned in this time. Take going to a restaurant for example; they have never behaved well when we go out to a restaurant. If one behaves the other doesn't, but never have they both been able to sit still in a chair like humans and eat their food with utensils. Tonight was no exception.
We sat down at Cracker Barrel and ordered our food; everyone ordered pancakes except me. I wanted a salad. If you have ever been to a Cracker Barrel you know that they do portion sizes to the extreme. So, my salad comes and I wanted dressing on the side because they literally give you a 3/4 cup of salad dressing (I mean really, who needs that much dressing) so, the nice lady is handing out the dishes and is about to hand me the vat of dressing when Corban reached for it--and it fell. But it did not just fall, it fell all over me. It happened almost in slow motion. It hit about a half inch below my shoulder and spilled all down my arm. Then, the bowl hit the side of my chair and spilled into my pocketbook hanging on the side of the chair. Then took a left and hit my hip and went all over my jeans. So, there I was covered in ranch dressing; it took a few napkins, 2 towels and a mop to clean it all up! Luckily I keep my pocketbook filled with trash and old receipts, so that took most of the hit in there. I like ranch dressing as much as the next guy, but it really did not smell (or feel) very good having it on my shirt all through dinner.
After we got past that, the kids ended up doing pretty well; they ate well, at least. It was difficult cleaning the syrup off of Corban's eyebrows, though.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sophie, I laughed so hard that my eyes were tearing up! It reminded me of the cookout in the backyard at the creek when Corban reached into that can of grill grease up to his elbow! My kids still remember that one and bust out laughing. At least Ranch Dressing comes out with a little Oxy Clean better than grease! Check out my blog today for a funny story from my Mom's childhood.

-Jen

s said...

Yes, Corban seems to have a special "talent" for that kind of thing!