Monday, May 10, 2010

Breaking All The Rules

I am a rule person, I like rules. I may not have always been that way, but I am now. Rules help one keep focused and on track and give one direction. Even more than I like rules, I like when other people follow the rules. For instance, when I see a sign at the grocery store that says "20 items or less" I will dutifully count my items and if I have more than 20, I will go to the regular check out. And yes, I admit that I will count other peoples items and if they have more than the allotted number of items; I may count them out loud. Or I may even talk out loud to myself, so the offender can hear about having 20 items or less. So, the other night as I was getting ready to check out my grocery order, I found myself faced with a dilemma. Should I wait behind the guy with 2 baskets full and 800 coupons at the only open register? Or, should I cheat and go to the express lane, even though I clearly had more than 15 items? Well, I opted for the express with my big order. Almost immediately, I felt bad as a lady came behind me holding 2 things in her hands. I thought about letting her go in front of me, but I decided not to. I did look at her apologetically though. And luckily, she did not start counting my items out loud. Technically, I actually was not breaking any rules though. I did actually have two separate orders, each containing less than 15 items. But I was the only customer buying a total of more than 15 items.

I have decided to let myself off for the technicality this time... But next time, I will suck it up and get in the regular line, so as not to cause myself any more ethical dilemmas. And maybe the next time I am behind someone in the express lane with more items than the limit, I'll be a bit more relaxed and not huff and puff behind them about the "express lane" sign... Although, I probably will still count their number of groceries out loud.

No comments: