Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy Birthday Corban

Well, my little baby Corban turned three yesterday.  On Sunday evening we had a "birthday party" for him.  It was really just our family, but we called it a birthday party anyways.  Almost every day for the last three months he had been asking if it was time for his birthday party yet.  So, I felt compelled to do something for him.  He had been asking for a "Star Wars" birthday party...I know, HUGE surprise there!  So I decided that I would bake him "Star Wars" birthday cake.  What possesses me to do this kind of thing is beyond me.  I have zero cake decorating skills, but I would like to believe that I have at least a moderate level of artistic ability.  Somehow, that ought to translate to the confectionery arts. Not-so-much!  But none the less, I went for it.  It took me all day.  After I went to the store and got what I thought was everything, I got home and realized that I had no eggs.  A minor setback.  So, I packed up the kids and went back and got eggs.  I got started mixing the ingredients for my cake.  Then, I found that I did not have enough oil.  I could have cried... but I didn't!  I called my neighbor and luckily she had some she could spare.  So I finished the cake and made all the icing.  I went to turn the cake out of the pan and it cracked almost completely in half.  So, I had to change my cake plan.  I had originally planned on making an "R2D2" cake.  I know, go big or go home right?  So, I finally decided to make a cake comprised of two crossed light sabers.  Easier said than done.  Of course, the cake was a disaster.  Although, not necessarily any less of a disaster than my R2D2 cake would have been.  Fortunately for me three-year-olds are not the most discriminating demographic when it comes to cake.  As long as they get to eat it, then it is good enough for them.  Someone at church asked Corban what kind of cake he was going to have and his answer was "mine", if that tells you anything.  At least it tasted good; I guess that is all that matters.  I have pondered starting a tradition of making terribly ugly, but well intentioned birthday cakes for my kids every year.  Or at least, that's what I can claim when they come out like this last one.  I even contemplated posting a picture of it, but to be perfectly honest, I'm a little embarrassed.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Please post a picture..I want to see it!

Chris

Jessica Lawson said...

YOU'RE the cook, I'M the baker. Just let me help you next time ;)